Classes Part 15: The magister
Hit Dice: 1d6
Skill Points at 1st level: (2+int bonus) X4
Skill points at Higher Levels: 2+Int Bonus
Class Skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Craft (any), Decipher Script, Innuendo, Intimidation , Knowledge (all skills), Search, Speak Language, and Spellcraft.
1st: The magister staff
5th: Bonus feat
6th: Familiarity with Magic
10th: Bonus Feat
12th: Lesser aspect of power
14th: Lesser mind over matter
15th: Bonus Feat
18th: Greater aspect of power
20th: Bonus feat
22th: Greater Mind over Matter
24th: Master’s aspect of power
25th: Bonus feat
27th: Bonus feat
29th: Bonus Feat
30th: Bonus Feat
Weapon and Armor skills: They are only skilled with staves, except at 5th level they gain skill with sword staves as well
Spells: A magister’s primary focus is casting spells. These characters have access to simple and complex spells. A magister is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day according to his class level. A magister can ready any simple or complex spell, provided he can cast of that level. He uses the Vatican Spell casting system. He also can use a diminished or heightened version of each and every spell, and all spells are based upon Intelligence. Magisters always face spell failure chances when wearing anything more than cloth armor. His staff is the focus for casting spells, without it all of his spells are treated as a level lower and he must double all casting times. He also gains access to all spell templates, unlike a wizards.
The Magister’s Staff: They craft a staff specifically attuned to him. Regardless of its construction or composition it has a hardness of 12, 50 hit points, and a Break DC of 30. The staff’s hit pionts increase at a rate of 2 per magister level and the hardness and break Difficulty Class increase at a rate of 1 point per three magister levels. If the staff breaks, he is stunned for 1d4 rounds. The breaker of the staff is also stunned, and takes 1D6 damage plus Magister level. To make a new one requires 1000 gp and a week.
Bonus Feats: They Gain: Aid Spellcasting, Attune to Magic Item, Battle Mage, Blessed Mage, zblood as Power, Brandish Magical Might, Conjure Mastery Corrupt Mage, Craft Charged Item, Craft Constant Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Single- Use Item, Craft Spell-Completion Item, Creator Mage, Dragon Mage, Eldritch Training, Elemental mage, Energy mage, Exotic Spell, Fey Mage, Giantish mage, Hunter Mage, Infuse Weapon, Iron Will, LItorian Mage, Modify spell, Peaceful Mage, Psion, Quicken Spell, Resistant Spell, Runecaster, Sanctum, Sibeccai mage, Elf Mage, Gnome Mage, Hafling Mage, Tattooed spell, Unraveling Mage, Spell Penetration, Metamagic, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, ITem Creation Extend Feat, Sculpt Spell, spell mastery, Extend spell, scribe Scroll, Wild Mage. Even ceremonials feats can be taken without having to go through the ceremonies.
Familiarity with Magic: They gain a +2 competence bonus to all saving throws against spells and spell-like and supernatural abilities (including magic items). Further he gains a +2 competence bonus to Armor class against spells requiring attack rolls.
Lesser Aspect of power: He can choose one of these abilities per level he gains this power, which he can use at will as a free action
1) Distinct Voice: If he wishes, anyone within 100 feet can hear the magister regardless of noise around him, even when whispering
2) Glowing Footsteps: Whenever he wishes a magister can make his footsteps glow with a magical aura for 1 round
3) Innate Spell: The Magister chooses a 0-level spell to cast once per day as a spell-like ability with no components or focus as a free action.
4) Skeletal Visage: Whenever the Magister cast a spell, for a brief second his skull and bones glow with a ghostly light, showing through his flesh
5) Sparkles: A magister creates a flash of sparkles at any time.
6) Special Eyes: A magister can make his eyes glow a chosen color whenever he wishes. Alternatively, his eyes might have tiny symbols (Skulls, crosses, ect) in the pupils all the time. Or they might permanently be an unnatural color.
Lesser Mind Over Matter: At 14th level and beyond a magister can use his uncanny intellect, coupled with secrets learned while studying magic, to gain an advantage in situation that usually demand brute force. In situations required a Strength check, he can make an Intelligence Check instead. For example, when he must force open a stuck door, a magister can make an Intelligence check to best position himself for leverage and recall some secret knowledge about the magic stored within the wood to get it to open. This can only be used 3 times per day. This ability never affects attack or damage rolls, except that, when making an opposed grapple check to avoid being grappled, the magister can use his Intelligence modifier rather than his Strength modifier.
Great Aspect of Power: At 18th level, the magister becomes further steeped in magic that comes through as an ever-present side effect. The magister can choose another ability defined under lesser aspect of power or one of the following abilities that he can call upon at will, at free action
1) Discard Staff: The Magister no longer needs his staff on hand to cast spells
2)Disdain Need: A magister no longer needs to eat or drink, he gets his nourishment from agic
3) Display Power: The Magister can cause himself to grow more powerful and impressive at will, gaining a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks (which he counts as trained in for the purpose of the skill) and can add his Int bonus
4)Innate Spell: A magister can choose a single 1st level spell he can cast once per day as spell like ability
5) Magic Touch: A magister can sense if an object touched has a magical aura (but he gains not further information)
6) Name of Power: The magister becomes aware when anyone speaks his name (referring specifically to him). He knows when it happens and learns the location of the speaker. If he already the names of the speaker he knows who they are.
7) Touch Not the Earth: The magister’s feet no longer have to touch the ground, instead when he walks he floats 2 inches above any surface. When he cannot use this ability to float higher, and it does not save him from falls, it does allow him to leave no tracks and avoid traps triggered by weight placed upon a floor. This spell does not affect the magister’s weight.
Greater Mind Over Matter: The magister can use use his intelligence bonus rather than dexterity and Constitution to modify reflex and foritude saving throws. Likewise, all skills modified by Strenght, Constitution, or Dexterity are modified by Intelligene instead. this process still does not affect attack or damage rolls, nor does it affect Armor Class.
Master’s Aspect of Power: A magister becomes completely steeped in magic
1) Defender Staff: If the magister is aware of an incoming ranged or melee attack, and his staff is in hand, he can gain a +3 deflection bonus to Defense Class
2) Fiery Touch; A magister can make his hands glow like a a torch with flames that don’t hurt him, which deal 1D6 points of fire damage
3) Frosty Breath: The magister’s breath is absurdly cold, he can instantly extinguish nonmagical flames smaller than a campfire within 5 feet. With a standard action he can breathe on an adjacent foe and inflicts 2d6 points of cold damage (reflex save for half damage, DC 10+half his level+Int bonus)
3) Innate spell: They can use a 2nd level spell once per day
4) Inorganic Flesh: He can make his flesh metallic or stony apperance at will, which gives him a +3 bonus to Armor class and his weight doubles. Speed and arcane spell failure aren’t affected
5) Magical Blood: His blood is replaced by pure magical energy. When wounded, he bleeds energy rather than fluid. He is immune to poison and disease as well as abilities that rely upon his blood.
6) Magical Helper: The magister gains the aid of nearly invisible minor magical creature called a vortex. The creature takes the form of a Medium air elemental except that it deals only force damage, not air damage. If it is slain, a new vortex appear at midnight the next day. Most of the time they are used to carry equipment, open doors, deliver message and so on. They can’t travel more than a day’s journey from the Magister himself, and can only rely words the magister has specifically told before hand.